“With March being colon cancer awareness month, I wanted to help promote the awareness of the importance of colon cancer screening. As a gastroenterologist in Plano, TX my staff and I continually educate patients on how critical it is to follow the suggested colon cancer-screening schedule provided by the American College of Gastroenterology. With early screening and testing, colon cancer is Preventable, Treatable & Beatable!
Kenneth Brown, M.D.
Who should be screened for Colon Cancer in Plano, TX?
An appointment should be made with your gastroenterologist for a colon cancer screening if you are 50 years of age or older, then you should schedule a colon screen every five years in order to ensure early detection of any precancerous polyps. Your gastroenterologist will recommend starting the colon cancer screening earlier than 50 years of age if you a history or family history of polyps, IBD, or colon cancer.
Colonoscopy is considered to be the gold standard for colon cancer screening since it is the only colon cancer-screening exam that can both screen for polyps and remove them at the same time. In order to make colonoscopy more accessible to patients in the Plano, TX area, Dr. Brown offers an open access colonoscopy option to qualifying patients. Open access colonoscopy allows patients to schedule a colonoscopy without having an office visit prior to the colonoscopy. This will save patients the time and the expense of an office visit.
Colon Cancer Facts
- Colorectal cancer accounts for nearly 10% of cancer deaths in the U.S.
- 1 in 3 adults aged 50-75 are NOT up-to-date with recommended colorectal cancer screening.
- 1 in 20 (around 5%) men and women will be diagnosed with colorectal cancer in their lifetime.
Colon Cancer Awareness Events in Plano, TX area
- National Dress Blue Day
- Date: March 4, 2016
- Event Info: http://DressInBlue.org
- Get Your Rear in Gear! 5k Run/Walk
- Event Info – http://www.coloncancercoalition.org/get-involved/events/
- Date: March 5, 2016
- Location: Trinity Park in Fort Worth, TX
- Undy Run/Walk
- Event Info: http://www.ccalliance.org/undy-runwalk
- Date: November 2016
- Location: Not yet announced
Promote Colon Cancer Awareness in Plano, TX
If you know a family member, co-worker or friend that might be of age to get screened for colon cancer, I encourage you to share this information with them. It’s important to spread the message that by getting screened we can prevent this deadly cancer!